The Great Fire Re-enacted

On Friday, Year 2 took their model 17th Century houses onto the field.  They arranged them into a street and then their teacher started a fire at one end of the row.  The children stood at a safe distance, watched the fire spread, quickly destroying the houses and they were asked to consider the following questions:

What did you see?  What did you smell? What did you hear? How did you feel?
They will now write a diary entry about the fire in the style of Samuel Pepys.

Take a look at the photographs, can you suggest some good words or phrases that the children could use in their writing?

Year 2 Great Fire Re-enactment on PhotoPeach

About Mr Smith

23 comments on “The Great Fire Re-enacted

1. This looked like a really fun lesson? How did the children feel watching their models burn??

2. sjcteacher on said:

Wow!! That looks amazing! What a fantastic way to put yourself in the shoes of Samuel Pepys.

Some words you could use are scorching, blacken, blister, char, melt, parch, roast, scald, sear, seethe, shrivel, simmer, singe, swelter, wither.

Good luck with your writing :)

3. Mr Harrison on said:

WOW! I have never thought of testing out models but actually setting fire to them. What a great idea, looks like you had great fun.

Mr Harrison
    Headteacher
    Miriam Lord, Bradford.

4. Class 5 on said:

Class 5 really enjoyed setting fire to their houses.
    Bronwyn felt petrified because she thought the fire might touch her!
    Lucas felt a bit angry that he had put so much effort into making his house and then it was just set on fire!!
    Chelsea thought she might cry as she didn’t want all the houses to go on fire.

They all really enjoyed writing about the fire and they used some brilliant adjectives to describe it.

5. It looks like a really fun activity and I wish I did it.

6. Wow! That looked great fun its a great way of showing people what happened in the fire of london

7. Wow! We never did that, it looks like billy is crying, looks like good fun

8. That looks soooo much fun I wish I could have joined in it looks great! I hope everyone enjoyed doing it coz I certainley would!

9. I really enjoyed learning about the great fires of London.

10. caitlin16758 on said:

WELL DONE YEAR 2 THAT LOOKED REALLY FUN

11. Dominic on said:

The great fire was brilliant and I loved it and I want to do that too

12. Thomas on said:

i think that looks like a great fire.

13. Thomas on said:

I THINK THAT LOOKS LIKE AN AWSOME FIRE

14. callum on said:

The great fire of London is very intresting.

15. Swirling, fantastic from me

16. WOW!!!! This looks like you had fun

17. Grace, Class 13 on said:

Cool,It sounds really fun. I dont remember doing that in Year 2.

18. sophie class 13 on said:

Well maybe the children could use:

the fires flames lit up the night we heard screams of terror but mostly fear, i dont think many people will survive this tragic fire burning house to house. But i guess we will have to work as a team to at least try to get rid of it.

19. Liberty Paxford on said:

I really enjoyed building the houses then watching them burn down.

20. harry class 6 on said:

We took alot of time building the houses and it is upset that our work got burnt.

21. That. Was. A. Fun. Lesson.

22. I really enjoyed it

23. I just visited your site for the first time and I really liked it, I bookmarked it and will be back.