Air Raid in Year 6

On Tuesday, Mr Smith bombed the hangers we had constructed to protect our carefully constructed model Airfix spitfires.  He asked us to place our hanger on a target, to place our model inside the hanger and then he dropped two 100g bombs on top of the hanger from a height of 2 metres.  Here is the Year 6 Nessfield Spitfire squadron 2011.

Here are clips of 4 of the “air raids”.  Click on the word in bold to view the video.

Hanger 1 from Sean Smith on Vimeo.

Hanger 2 from Sean Smith on Vimeo.

Hanger 3 from Sean Smith on Vimeo.

Hanger 4 from Sean Smith on Vimeo.

These are the views of a selection of the children involved.

Post Project Interviews from Sean Smith on Vimeo.

What do you think about our “Battle of Britain” project? Please leave a comment.

About Mr Smith

34 comments on “Air Raid in Year 6

1. Wow!That sounds great,I hope you had fun bombing the spitfires.

2. Mr Harrison on said:

What a fantastic idea! It looks like you had a great time on your Battle of Britain project. I may even pinch the idea for my own school. Thank you.

Mr Harrison
    Headteacher
    Miriam Lord, Bradford.

3. Ellie-mae on said:

Ohh they are good. Mr. Smith could you put ours on ?

4. Josh class14 on said:

My hanger exploded but it was funny

5. Whoa! I hope we get to do that in year 6 looks like good fun

6. Oliver on said:

I think it was a realy good idea to make identical aircraft fighters from world war two because now I know what they looked like and I think it’s a realy good way to re-enact the build of the aircraft fighters.

7. WOW WEEE DO YOU KNOW THESE? LANCASTER BOMBERS SPITFIRES TYPHOONS
    TIGER MOTHS FIGHTER JETS. HAVE YOU EVER GONE IN THE COCPIT OF ONE OF THESE.

DON’T FORGET THESE EASY JET. THOMAS COOK. AIR MALTA. JET 2. EMIRATS.

FROM JC JOSH CLASS 11 YEAR 5

8. Anonymous on said:

I wish i did it

9. Anonymous on said:

I wish i did that

10. That was really fun making them planes I hope we get to do another project like that :

11. caitlin on said:

It looks really good mr.smith is every person in year 6 going to do it?

12. the year 6s aerorplans was brilliant.

13. Dominic on said:

The planes look brillent and I whant to make a plane to

14. Thomas on said:

I THINK THE PLANES ARE BRILANT

15. Thankfully my plane and hanger survived. I was so relieved when I had been done !

16. I really enjoyed this it was one of my best lessons!!!!!!!

17. Grace, Class 13 on said:

It was well fun, I love D.t. Our shelter broke but our plane survived!

18. You guys if you can’t wait till year 6 you can go buy them from toy-masters, then you will have fun making them at home:)(you might need a adult to help you with certain bits)

19. Hannah on said:

I really enjoyed this apart from when we had to make our hangers it was a disaster :) :) :)

20. Mine and Hannah’s hanger was a disaster it all fell to pieces :) :) :) It was funny though!!!!!!!!!!

21. I recommend it everyone, it was great fun to make the plane and the hanger. It is a brilliant thing to do in D.T because it is so enjoyable, i might even start encouraging my family! :)

22. Mr Bell on said:

I really enjoyed watching the videos of your hangers getting bombed. It looked like a really exciting topic.

23. THAT SOUNDS BRILL, I HOPE YEAR 6 ENJOYED IT.

24. hannah on said:

That was really fun to do it did take hard work but it was still great to make and I hope the other people who will do it will have fun as well.

25. brandon on said:

Was it a good lesson?

26. I thought the aeroplanes were great.

27. shannon on said:

I thought the great fire of London it was so nice but all so nice.

28. Bradley on said:

That sounds awesome I hope I get to do it!

29. Making the hangers was the worst bit of this topic because we didnt have hot glue guns so we had 2 use normal glue so the posts wouldnt stand up :( :(

30. Josh Strickland on said:

Has anyone watched the videos yet?

31. Gosh! These planes look absolutely amazing!